Friday, March 18, 2011

My dear Japan

I've been in shock for the last week or so.  I just cannot believe what has happened to Japan.  I am having a hard time imagining what the future may bring to this dear country, and an even harder time thinking of those wonderful people going through such trauma and devastation.

I am a better person because of the blessing I had of serving my mission in Japan.  Those beautiful people taught me so much about civility, integrity, hard work, community and so many other things.  I feel like Japan is my second home and its people, my people.  My heart aches for them.

I have worried about loved ones over there.  I have worried about the children of Japan.  The elderly, all those in harm's way or who are suffering.  I think of the mothers who have lost their sons and daughters.  I think of the fathers trying so desperately to hold things together.  Many hundreds of thousands are now homeless, with many hundreds of thousands more who have become nuclear refugees. I know there are many people there, even still more than a week after the earthquake, who do not have enough food and water.  There are many people out in the bitter cold, without adequate shelter or the necessities of life.  People that I love don't have immediate water supplies.  I don't know if they are okay right now, and all I can do is send my pleas Heavenward for them.

I'm really at a loss for words. 

So, my dear Japan, I am praying for you.  Hang in there.

5 comments:

Mike Owens said...

We're right there praying with you. It boggles the mind what has happened, and yet it is amazing to see the resilience and grace of those who have survived and are rebuilding their homes and lives.

Deborah Moore said...

The situation in Japan truely is beyond words. I was wondering how it was effecting you in particular. No matter who it happens to, a massive devastation is painful beyond words.

Christine Merrill said...

We are praying our hearts out for them too. I'm so grateful they have an open government that will accept international help, so that their suffering can be alleviated as soon as possible!

Diana said...

When big things like this happen, I always picture Heaven. Receiving so many more people at once than usual. But not one of them goes unnoticed. Everyone has a place to be and loved ones to greet them and a new job to do. I think how we pray so hard for those who are "missing" here on earth and how Heavenly Father is able to comfort us because He knows right where they are. Whether they're right there next to Him or finding their way to safety on earth. He knows where they are and how best to help them. I hope and pray for the least amount of suffering and for comfort and peace to rest on the families that are left here.

K said...

I agree, Diana. I think the hardest thing about all of this devastation is those left behind. Life is going to be very difficult in that part of the world for those affected for a long time. Simple things that are easy to take for granted like getting clean, uncontaminated water are going to be very hard for a long time. The nuclear crisis has compounded all these fears as well, and I think it will be a factor for many years to come. We must remember our Father in Heaven, and have faith that He knows and loves us and can do for us what no one else can.