Thursday, July 9, 2009

Our little friend

We have a hummingbird that hangs out at our place.

Hummingbirds are curious little guys, flitting around and zipping all over. Ours peeps in our kitchen window to see what we're up to and what we're having for dinner.

A few years ago I was fascinated to see him above our roof, darting wildly in all directions. I think he was catching mosquitoes. Yay for hummingbirds!

Before the kids were born I was rockclimbing with Mr. AH up in the canyon. I was probably about 35 feet off the ground when I heard a strange buzzing noise and a slight breeze next to my right ear. I turned around and there was the cutest little hummingbird just hanging out. He was so close I could have reached out and pet him. He stayed there for quite some time (at least 15 seconds, which is a long time for a hummingbird) and stared. He was probably wondering what in the world I was doing up there.

Another time shortly after Mr. AH and I were married we were camping up in Logan and a hummingbird visited our campsite. He hovered about 10 feet away and just looked at us for a while.

The last time I saw our little friend he was checking out the red and white flag we had on our porch. Hummingbirds are attracted to bright red colors. The little guy was fascinated.

Maybe someday we'll put up a feeder. They're high maintenance, which we don't have time for right now. I'm sure glad our little friend comes by anyway.

If you're interested in hummingbird feeders, check out the Auduban's link here.

4 comments:

Nichole said...

remember our blog is www.theseilerfamilyblog.blogspot.com

Alyssa Rock said...

Yay! I want a hummingbird too! They are pretty much the coolest birds ever...

Mostly Jessica said...

hummingbirds are cool. we've also been watching the bees move into the home Ron made for them. exciting!

Diana said...

We had hummingbirds visiting our family reunion camp up in Logan a few weeks ago, too. We even found their teensy little nest with eggs in it! :) Someone ran to town and bought a feeder and we enjoyed them the whole time. :)